MAE Blouse

Pattern: Bluegingerdoll's MAE Blouse
Fabric: white cotton in a low-stretch knit
Cost: free hand-me-down fabric from my mom

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to test Bluegingerdoll's latest pattern, the MAE blouse:



While I love the look of vintage tops, vintage patterns rarely work on me. Even modern vintage looks, like the Colette Sencha, have never fit me quite right in the bust. Maybe it's because I don't have that "retro figure" that suits the patterns right out of the package. Or maybe it's because I'm not as patient as Laura. But the truth is, I have been wanting a vintage-style blouse for quite some time with little success.

Enter Bluegingerdoll's MAE Blouse. The blouse has that lovely vintage-y feel I've been looking for, but is a modern pattern that actually works for me! And because it has relatively few seam lines and pattern pieces, I'm sure it's destined to be a summer favorite for folks to sew up. It's kind of the vintage version to the Scout Tee.

Like the Billie Jean, MAE is designed for intermediate sewists, and benefits from careful fitting. It has a scalloped neckline, kimono sleeves, darts, and buttons up the back. (As you can probably tell on my version, I goofed up the back sizing during the testing process, and it needs to be taken in a few inches.) Abby is also careful to include helpful instructions, like which way to press the darts (that's the part I always forget!).


At first I was a little unsure about the scalloped neckline, because it's a bit 'girlier' than I normally do, but I'm so glad I did! Abby has drafted the scallops perfectly, and I love how they frame my face and sit on my chest. I have so far worn it once and already gotten a few compliments!


And I don't know what it is about Bluegingerdoll patterns, but they always inspire me with the lining/facings. Here's a peek at the construction details. (Note that I decided to sew the front facing down for a different effect.)




Patterns are ready to ship now, so hop on over to get yours!

6 comments:

  1. Soooo cute! I love the scalloped neckline! And the fabric you used for the facings is too perfect! And the buttons! GAH! Okay... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! I love the scalloped neckline...it is feminine but not too girly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love how you sewed down the facing and created an interesting neckline - I'm also a fan of that lining! I just bought my pattern and can't wait to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The facings are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning - it drapes so nicely and your hair looks lovely too! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! It looks like a basic from the front but the back view is so different! Love the buttons!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...